Saturday, June 14, 2008

the best things in life are free

What do you do when you need to get back in shape but earning an hourly wage and you'd rather splurge on shoes than a gym membership? Get out there and do it for free!

I've been going to Bryant Park Yoga and I really hope to stay on track. I discovered this last summer and either my work schedule didn't permit or I was just too lazy/intimidated/not at all willing to sweat my butt off. But nowwww, now that I'm out of college and a free gym on campus is no longer an option, now that I'm in my 20s and fear for my fast metabolism's demise, I decided to do something a little more healthy for myself (so I won't feel guilty when I get my 3pm donuts).

It's a bit odd, stretching in the middle of NYC while construction workers, tourists, office workers just out of the 9-5 confinement stare at you, but after a while you learn to say "So what?" And it feels so great to do yoga again, after, hmm... 2 years?

So in the same spirit, when my boss mentioned Solstice in Times Square, I checked it out. Despite being at first being very very skeptical about doing yoga in the middle of Times Square (that area makes me want to punch people, specifically, slow walkers or people who walk without any direction) I decided to try it out anyway. It may turn out horribly, but to hell with it, it's free!

If anyone out there has tips for living on the cheap, pass them on!

No comments: