Monday, April 28, 2008

'cause we all just wanna be big rock stars

YouTube. MySpace. FaceBook. Flickr. Twitter. Blogger (ahem). This list could go on and on and on with social networking and filesharing sites. But I think I'm a little too old to be in that demographic whose entire life is broadcasted on the internet. (or maybe I just feeeel older, since really, a lot of my peers seem to still be into the glory of the World Wide Web. or maybe it's just because I work for the web that I've gotten a bit sick of it as a pastime.)

People want to share everything: from what they're doing right this second (dear facebook, stop asking me what I'm up to, nosy jerk.) to videos of them mimicking a celebrity or even worse, committing a crime. The fact that we have children beating up other children and posting them online for all to see is sad and despicable. Are we really in this desperate need of attention? Do I really care if some person from Town Blah, Alabama can do the Soulja Boy dance? (Hint: No.)

Oh, but who am I to talk. I have a freaking personal blog. Although, there's nothing that's really personal on here...

I would like to dole out some unsolicited advice though: Hannah Montana, Miley Cyrus, whatever, can you please please please maintain a little bit of your personal life and childhood while you still can? Umm, that probably means limiting your MySpace posts.

No comments: